Tuesday 21 February 2012

Just like old friends!

Where does the time go? Another 3 weeks have gone past and another review has come and gone. Sitting in the tatty, cramped waiting room that I have come to know so well. Peoples faces have various signs of emotion on them.I can only imagine what is going through their minds. Different people at different stages of their journey. Some yet to get their diagnosis, others dealing with theirs.

I have to say that it is not at all the peaceful environment that patients need to deal with their issues. Two large toilets that open out into the gaze of fellow patients does not help things. The room is very cramped, tatty and busy. There is no private area at all.It reminds me of Clapham Junction station. Busy and noisy. It is ok for me, as I have got used to this environment, but I do feel for other, less hardy people.

Having said the above, the staff are absolutely wonderful, considering they have to work in such an environment. All very welcoming, helpful and understanding. When I go anywhere in the hospital, I am treated like a long lost friend.I have been going there continuously now for 5 years, and I think they miss me when I don't go for a few weeks!! Even the pharmicist asks how I am, if I haven't been to pick up my regular supply of drugs. The girls in the blood dept, now there's another story!!

We have come to the conclusion that my new regime of treatment is beginning to show a slight improvement in things. Although I still struggle putting on shirts, jumpers and jackets etc. Poor Sue, yet another task she has to do for me! I also have an appointment in a couple of weeks with a muscle expert.

When I am at the hospital I try and arrange my meetings to make the most of my time, and yesterday I managed to see the girls who work in the St Georges charity office. We work very closely to promote the great work of the hospital.Lovely people to work with, as they treat everyone as an individual. They put the FUN into FUNdraising!!

From consultant appointment, to drugs, to blood to charity office and Macmillan Information centre it was a busy day. As you may be aware, visiting hospital is very physically and emotionally draining. I can feel the tiredness daily, but even slowing down, doesn't really solve the problem, as I get bored very quickly!! I am used to living with it but it can be very unpleasant at times as I get to the stage where even simple tasks are such an effort. Very difficult for people of normal health to understand, I think.



No comments:

Post a Comment