Tuesday 22 May 2012

Fame, cancer, and the media.

Since my own diagnosis in 2007, and my extremely limited knowledge on the subject of cancer, I have an eternal thirst to learn more about this thing that has invaded my body.This disease that can bring down a very healthy person so quickly. This thing that changes lives in an instant. Obviously, the subject is interesting to me, but I guess unless you are somehow involved with someone who is affected by cancer, you might just pay a passing interest to it, as these days we seem to hear the word so frequently now.

However, the society in which we now live, revolves around media and news stories. Every form of media is looking for the latest story, and it seems that bad news sells. So when a world famous person dies, there are stories everywhere about them.

Recently, there have been three deaths involving cancer. Robin Gibb of Bee Gees fame, Donna Summer, and Abdelbaset Al Megrahi.Cancer is again in the spotlight. Robin Gibb, we all know had been ill for some time. Personally, I didn't know that Donna Summer had been unwell, but I think we all knew of the controversy of Mr Megrahi, and his battle with prostate cancer.

People will be talking about these various cancer issues for a period of time, which in its own way is a good thing, raising awareness of the different diseases. It all seems to come that much closer to home, when someone we all know, dies. I remember very clearly when Jade Goody died there were a lot more girls going for tests, than there were before.

Of course, it is very sad when people die, but what it does mean is that a lot more people will sit up and take notice of certain symptoms.

I found a quote from Robin Gibb, which I would like to share with you, as I think it shows that he was as much a human being as you and I. It is an example of what I have mentioned in one of my previous posts. Poor health is a great equaliser. He also shows his appreciation of time.


He admitted: 'Of course I was scared, like most people in my situation would be.'I just didn't want to be told any bad news.'

When wife Dwina and son RJ eventually convinced him to have the scan, doctors found he had bowel cancer which had spread to his liver.

He said: 'I didn't cry, I just went into shock. I lost my appetite. I didn't want to eat, and I certainly couldn't sleep. I'd been in denial for so long.'

He was put on a course of chemotherapy, while Dwina - a druid priestess - also gave him health foods and herb teas in a bid to fight the disease.

He explained: 'The illness and the untimely death of my brothers made me conscious of the fact that - rather than just think about it - it's crucial that you do today what you want to do.

'Now I know how precious time is and you can't put it in the bank.
'I intend to make the most of every single second that I've got left.'




Donna Summer - the diva who inspired a generation to dance -  lost her secret battle with lung cancer.
The Queen of Disco died aged 63.

She is best known for her string of 70s hits including I Feel Love, Hot Stuff and Love to Love You Baby.

Sources say the singer believed she had contracted cancer by inhaling toxic particles in New York after the 9/11 attacks.

She had been determined to beat the disease and had been trying to finish an album.

Donna won five Grammys, sold 130 million records and revolutionised dance music.

No comments:

Post a Comment