Wednesday 2 May 2012

Hope, the most important emotion?


Dr. Barbara L. Fredrickson, Principal Investigator of the Positive Emotions and Psychophysiology Lab and Professor at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, argues that hope "...comes into play when our circumstances are dire", when "things are not going well or at least there’s considerable uncertainty about how things will turn out". She states that "hope literally opens us up...and removes the blinders of fear and despair, and allows us to see the big picture , thus allowing us to become creative" and have "belief in a better future".

Unfortunately, as I write this post, I have yet another chest infection. Low immunity and immune suppressing drugs is disaster for me! Sneeze, cough, and then coughing for about a month, night and day. All energy gone!! However, you guys out there are giving me the strength and will to write.

Thank you for the wonderful feedback that you are sending, and I can also see see how the readership of this blog is expanding quickly, and in different countries, which is fantastic. I was always aware of the number of people that needed some form of support, but my personal joy, is from reaching people through this medium, which I never could have done before.Maybe I can be a microphone for your voice?

I have been to some very interesting meetings this week, and there are a few subjects that I would like to talk about, but today's post subject has cropped up in newspapers and films that I have seen in the last few days and is particularly relevant to all of us, and that is HOPE.





At the weekend I was watching a futuristic film and it looked like the two people were both going to die. One said to the other ' We must have hope, even a small amount of hope is more powerful than fear'!

I then read an article about the new England  football manager, Roy Hodgson. Who seems to be nobodys choice for the job! Apparently he gave quite a composed press conference yesterday, and the headline read, ' What is the point if Roy can't hope'! Meaning, the job he has just taken is a poison chalice, but he has to hope that he can improve things. Without hope there is nothing!

For people affected by cancer, that is certainly something we all really need. But where does it come from? Do we develop it?  Are we given it by someone else? Do we all have it? Do some people lose it, or never have it in the first place?

I have always had hope in my own personal situation, but I can't really put that down to any logic whatsoever!! Firstly, I have always had great confidence in my medical team. I have always backed my own judgement in life and that has rarely let me down, and I am certainly right where those guys are concerned. Secondly, bad things never happen to me, so why should that change now??

Although I am prepared for the worst, I have never really considered it as an option.I think it is because I have always had hope. Maybe I would be one of the rare people who live longer (someone has to be one of those people, so why not me?). Perhaps a new form of treatment would be developed, if I relapse. who really knows what can happen.

As most of you are aware, I have been on my personal journey for 5 years, and I am still having treatment. The motivation that has got me so far, is my hope that one day I will be able to live something approaching a normal life. It is the one thing that gets me up in the morning.




In our everyday lives we must all have an element of hope. Pay rise, better health, bigger car, fancy holiday, pretty woman, good looking guy, promotion, fame and fortune.Even Crystal Palace winning the Champions League!!! As the paper says, what is the point if you can't have hope??

What do you hope for??? Do you struggle to find hope sometimes. Feel free to share your hopes. We can all learn from each other.

For some of you new readers, there are lots of interesting posts in the archive, so have a look around at some of the earlier posts and let me know what you think. All thoughts and opinions welcomed!




















No comments:

Post a Comment